Recent Foreign-language talks
- A titkos fegyver [The Secret Weapon] -- speech delivered at the Collegium Hungaricum, Berlin on March 15, 2009 on the occasion of the anniversary of the 1848 Hungarian revolution (German translation)
Recent & upcoming book events, festivals
- 20.00, 4 March 2015, Burgtheater Wien. Grenzgänger|Grenzdenker. ‹Wer hat Angst vor Viktor Orbán?› Zsófia Bán und György Dalos im Gespräch mit Martin Pollack. Es lesen Andrea Clausen und Martin Schwab.
- 18:00, 9 May, Literaturhaus Berlin. Group reading. Veranstaltung im Rahmen "August 1914"
- 19:15, 12 May, Aargauer Literaturhaus Lenzburg. >Reading, moderated by Ilma Rakusa.
- 20:00, 22 May, Literaturhaus Graz. >Veranstaltung im Rahmen "August 1914"
- 20:00, 05 June, Literaturhaus Berlin. Reading with Terézia Mora. (Reservieren)
- 7 Oct, 2012, "Writers Read" series. Le Poisson Rouge, New York.
- Abendschule – Fibel für Erwachsene. Zsófia Bán im Gespräch mit Terézia Mora, Moderation: Katharina Raabe. Collegium Hungaricum, Berlin, 25. April 2012. [Berlin book launch]
- Buchvorstellung von Abendschule: Fibel für Erwachsene auf der Leipziger Buchmesse am 17.03.2012. [Leipzig book launch] (Photo gallery)
- 2009 PEN World Voices Festival (New York) participant
- Author page and excerpt from "Night Zoo" at 2009 PEN World Voices
conference presentations in English
- 2011 "The Journey and Its Portrayals: Explorers, Sailors, (Im)migrants”, Center for the Humanities, National Sun Yat-sen University, Taiwan
- 2011 "American Dream: escape From Old Europe? – Central and Eastern Europe Between Desires, Fears and Illusions”, Prague, Goethe Institut, organized by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Osteuropakunde
- 2009 "Globalization and American Popular Culture", Salzburg Seminar fellow, Salzburg
- 2008 „Transnationalism and Immigration Shock in American Society and Literature”, Salzburg Seminar fellow, Salzburg
- 2006 Exposed Memory: Family Pictures in Private and Public Memory, organization of 2-day international conference (as an event of the International Association of Word and Image Studies, IAWIS), Budapest, Goethe Institute
- 2006 "Discourses of Americanization and Anti-Americanism", panel discussion, American Studies Association Convention, Oakland, California
- 2005 "Negatives of Absence: Family Photographs in Private and Public Memory", International Association of Word and Image Studies Conference, Philadelphia
- 2005 "American Culture in the U.S. and Abroad"; Salzburg Seminar SSASAA symposium, Salzburg
- 2005 "Negatives of Absence: Family Pictures in Private and Public Memory", International Association of Word & Image studies symposium, Philadelphia
- 2005 "Lost and Found in Translation: Problems of Cultural Translation in Hungary After 1989"; "America in the World:" A Symposium on Discourses of Americanization and Anti-Americanism, University of Iowa
- 2004 "The Cultural Turn: The Prospects of Cultural Studies in Hungary", workshop, Jannus Pannonius University, Pécs
- 2004 "The Yellow Star as Accessory", conference on "Eastern European Literature From an Anglophone Perspective", Kossuth Lajos University, Debrecen
- 2002 "Ut Scriptura Hortus: The Garden as Machine in Goethe's Elective Affinities", International Association of Word & Image Conference, Hamburg
- 2002 "Yours Truly? : Documentary Photography As a Reflection of American Cultural Identity", European Association of American Studies Biennial Conference, Bordeaux
- 1999 "The Translation of Art: Reinterpreting the Work of Joseph Kosuth," 50th Anniversary of the Amerika Institut at Ludwig-Maximilians Universität, München
- 1998 "Poetry in Motion: W.C. Williams and Postmodernity," American Literature Association annual convention, San Diego
- 1998 "Women on the Verge of a Semiotic Breakdown: The Work of Cindy Sherman, Jenny Holzer and Barbara Kruger," Ceremonies And Spectacles, European Association of American Studies biennial conference, Lisbon
- 1997 "The Critique of Language in the Late Poetry of William Carlos Williams and the Conceptual Work of Joseph Kossuth," Iconicity in Language and Literature, University of Zurich
- 1996 "Desire and Body: The American Fashion Scene," Fashion/Fashions In Anglo-American Literature and Culture, Orléans, France
- 1995 "New Directions in American Studies in Hungary," American Association of American Studies annual convention, Pittsburgh
- 1995 "Traces of the Postmodern in the Late Poetry of W.C. Williams," invited guest lecturer at Goldsmith College, London University
- 1995 "Construction of Memory Under Historical Contingency," invited participant of the Standing Seminar co-organized by the Central European University, the Friedrich Naumann Stiftung and the Institute for Advanced Study, Budapest
- 1994 "Visions and Revisions of the United States," Salzburg Seminar Fellow
- "The Poetry of William Carlos Williams," Iconicity in Language and Literature, symposium, University of Zurich
- "Changing Images of the American Metropolis in European and American Literature," Living with America - 1946-1996, European Association of American Studies biennial conference, Warsaw, 1996